Gibson 1941 EH-150
History of this EH-150's travels
Starting in 1940, 'Charlie Christian' bar pickups had been replaced in Gibson electric guitars as well as lapsteels with a newer, stronger, smaller magnet called ALNICO. ALNICO refers to Aluminum, Nickel, and Cobalt which according to 'Gibson Electric Steel Guitars' by A.R. Duchossoir, 'enabled Gibson and other guitar manufacturers to create the pickups that would become the norm for decades to come.'
This new slanted pickup with ALNICO magnets made its debut in the 'Gibson Supplement to Catalog AA' October 1, 1940 on the ES300 guitar, EH275, EH 185, EH150.
ALNICO magnets also used in metal covered pickups with adjustible pole pieces which were mounted on the new 1940 ES100 and ES150 guitars and without pole pieces on the EH100.