Gibson 1935 E150 'First Electric'

1935 E150 98-116 units ever produced
April 1941 ad with a rare glimpse of the 1935 E150
Comparison of 1935 - early 1936 E150 & early 1936 - mid 1937 E150

Gibson's lapsteels evolved into many styles in a short period of time. In  a comparison, the cast aluminum 1935 - early1936 E150 was vastly different from the next style E(EH)150 made early 1936-mid 1937. The first model had a cast- aluminum body with wide 'shoulders, screenprint 'Gibson logo' with no ornamentation, 29 fret unbound ebony fingerboard, unbound black bobbin pickup, tone and volume knobs on either side and a closed oblong bridge with 2 and later 3 screws.

The second model had a single bound maple top with a screwed on back (12 screws) and slimmer shoulders, 'Gibson logo' pearl inlay with no ornamentation, bound 29 fret rosewood fingerboard, unbound black bobbin pickup, tone and volume knobs on either side and an oblong bridge held by 2 and later 3 screws. 

Silk-screened 'Gibson' logo
Period correct Grover tuners produced 1935-1936
Back is not screwed on. The screws shown are 4 to attach the pickup and the other 4 to close the compartment
Early serial #118

According to 'Gibson Electric Steel Guitars' by A.R. Duchossoir, 

'...the first electric outfit commercialized by Gibson did not appear in the 'New Models' flier dated 1st October 1935 dedicated to the Super 400 and the 'advanced' arch-tops. The first production outfits were delivered from mid-November, e.g. guitar #110 and amp #1010 shipped to Jenkins Music on 14th November, or guitar #119 and amp #1008 shipped to E.E. Forbes & Son on 15th November.' 

Looking at the above serial #118, this lapsteel was one of the first commercially shipped Gibson electrics. Joesph Spann consulted the original Gibson shipping ledgers and added, '#118 was shipped on 9 December 1935 to Mr. H.M. Wirsing (a teacher/dealer in Flint, Michigan, 'A.R. Duchossoir') along with amplifier #1212.'   

Original shipping ledger photo provided by Lynn Wheelwright.
Inside of the electromagnetic works
Hollow chamber of the cast-aluminum body
Close-up of the blade attached to the magnets. Note the handwritten 'bottom' in pencil scribbled nearly 80 years ago.
Large bar magnets and protruding blade
Photo of the first 'closed' style bridge with 2 screws used only in Fall, 1935
Compare with above photo, the 3rd style 'open' bridge with 3 screws from Spring, 1936
Comparison headstock 'Gibson' script E(EH)150 1935 - early 1938

1935 - early 1936 metal body with 'Gibson' logo silkscreened on headstock. Early 1936 - mid 1937 'Gibson' logo pearl inlay in headstock only. Mid 1937 - early 1938 'Gibson' logo pearl inlay as well as split-diamond pearl inlay in headstock. 

Gibson never advertised the short-lived metal body E150, but its photo still made it into some print.